Plans for SVN infrastructure shutdown

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Jan 4 10:31:36 GMT 2013

On Wednesday 02 January 2013 18:52:32 Nicolás Alvarez wrote:
> So it's time to plan the shutdown of our SVN infrastructure. We have
> written a timeline for the SVN decomissioning, for tasks such as
> removing SVN support from secondary services, stop giving SVN access
> to new developers, disabling our anonsvn mirrors, and the final
> shutdown of svn.kde.org.

The plan seems OK, except for the very last step, "final shutdown".

Please keep svn.kde.org around, readonly. The various SCM conversions (cvs-
>svn->git) have made the very old history rather difficult to dig through with
git blame, I often resort to "svn blame" in my kde3 svn checkout, when looking
at very old code (e.g. kapplication.cpp in 1999), during the KF5
investigations. I am not criticizing the two SCM migrations, it's just
impossible to get it 100% right, so if we could just keep a readonly svn
around (surely this shouldn't require much maintainance), it would be useful
for archeology purposes.