Login for bug reporting

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Feb 7 10:10:44 GMT 2013

On Thursday 07 February 2013 02:00:19 Teemu Rytilahti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Martin Graesslin wrote:
> > +1 from me. I don't want reports from users not willing to create an
> > account
>
> So easier account creation is also a big no-no? For crashes or for all bugs?
That depends on how the "easier" works. Email address only is for me a big no-
no as it means that the user cannot add attachments, which is quite important
in the case of a crash trace.

Also it *must* be clear to the user that they are interacting with a web
software and not sending an email to a person. This is something I see again
and again, that users are not aware of that.
> Mozilla allows one to supply an e-mail address if the user is willing for
> that, but still allows sending the traces for aggregation. That doesn't
> apply for regular bugs though...
if the backtraces go to a special system where I don't see the dups, I'm all
fine. If they go to bugzilla I want less and I mean it. The number of
duplicates is a real problem and costs us lot's of time and work. I don't want
to see anything done to make it easier.

And no, we cannot expect users to recognize a duplicate crash, That's too
difficult, we can also not expect users from recognizing whether a backtrace
is useful.

--
Martin Gräßlin