Login for bug reporting

Teemu Rytilahti tpr at iki.fi
Thu Feb 7 00:46:52 GMT 2013

Hi everyone,

Frank Reininghaus wrote:

> considering that we get lots of duplicates for any reproducible bug, my
> impression is actually not that there are to many obstacles in the bug
> reporting process. Providing any kind of "contact me via email/Facebook"
> channel will only make it worse. I'm already spending a lot of time
> marking reports as duplicate/invalid or telling people that reporting bugs
> for KDE 4.8 or earlier is not quite as useful as they think. Please do not
> make it worse by lowering the bug reporting barriers.

The duplicate problem is really an issue I'm sure, but the partial solution
might be to use a separate crash-tracker like Nicolás mentioned. Basically
the crash-tracker would collect the crash information, from which the bug
reports can be made if/when needed. Actually this might even make the
situation better for the triaging (aggregation, dupfinding, keeping b.k.o
clean..), but can't say for sure of course.

I'm not (yet) sure how the process works for Mozilla folks, but all the
crashes are reported to a centralized place and aggregated afaik, all done
without logging. The bug entries in their Bugzilla are then linked (and
vice-versa?) to the crash reports, see https://crash-
stats.mozilla.com/products/Firefox .

Btw, what kind of reports are they mostly you're marking as dupes/invalids?
Not crashes I assume, as DrKonqi should do dupe-checking before letting one
to submit reports..

--
Best Regards,
Teemu Rytilahti