Login for bug reporting

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Thu Feb 7 09:28:22 GMT 2013

On Wednesday, 2013-02-06, Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 10:20 PM, Frank Reininghaus
>
> <frank78ac at googlemail.com> wrote:

> > considering that we get lots of duplicates for any reproducible bug, my
> > impression is actually not that there are to many obstacles in the bug
> > reporting process. Providing any kind of "contact me via email/Facebook"
> > channel will only make it worse. I'm already spending a lot of time
> > marking reports as duplicate/invalid or telling people that reporting
> > bugs for KDE 4.8 or earlier is not quite as useful as they think. Please
> > do not make it worse by lowering the bug reporting barriers.
>
> I fully agree with Frank here, we already get way enough useless
> reports, please don't lower the barrier even more. IMHO it is already
> very easy to report a bug in BKO, much easier actually than in other
> bug trackers out there, and, unless you find a miracle solution to
> increase the number of triagers at least 10x the current number,
> lowering the barrier would also mean more bogus and spam. Please don't
> make our work harder than it already is.

This isn't a way of lowering the barrier of reporting, it is about allowing
different means of providing the necessary personal information of the bug
reporter.

In any case, the main issue of the person was to encounter the account
requirment after having gone through the process of making the crash report
useful. If we don't want any further bug reports from non-account holders, we
can alternatively change the order of things, e.g. check for account
credentials before checking for debug symbols.

I do wonder though why our wikis allow different ways of login if we seem
think that only input from people with accounts on KDE infrastructure provide
valueable content.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring