Login for bug reporting

Frank Reininghaus frank78ac at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 6 21:20:07 GMT 2013

Am 06.02.2013 18:57 schrieb "Kevin Krammer":

> Hi folks,
>
> at FOSDEM I was approached by a person who asked me to relay his
> dissatisfaction with the requirement of having a KDE Bugzilla account to
> report crashes via the KDE crash handler dialog.
>
> The issue in his case was kind of made worse by having this obstacle
appear
> too late, i.e. after he had followed the instructions to create a useful
> backtrace and had downloaded several tens of megabytes of debug symbols.
>
> Being a FOSS developer himself he said that he understands the need for
having
> a communication channel with the reported, but just having an email
address
> for that would be sufficient (e.g. Debian's bug tracker works that way).
>
> So the question is whether alternative login options [1] are something we
> could do or whether this is impossible in our setup or just something we
don't
> want to do because of certain drawbacks.
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin
>
> [1] assuming that a KDE bugzilla login is nowadays a KDE Identity login,
could
> we have something like on the Wikis, e.g. OpenID, or something comment
> sections of websites used, e.g. "login via Facebook"?

considering that we get lots of duplicates for any reproducible bug, my
impression is actually not that there are to many obstacles in the bug
reporting process. Providing any kind of "contact me via email/Facebook"
channel will only make it worse. I'm already spending a lot of time marking
reports as duplicate/invalid or telling people that reporting bugs for KDE
4.8 or earlier is not quite as useful as they think. Please do not make it
worse by lowering the bug reporting barriers.

Cheers,
Frank