kwalletmanager ui refactor

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Wed Feb 6 13:28:17 GMT 2013

On 05.02.2013 21:34, Valentin Rusu wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 February 2013 10:49:55 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
>>
>> > 2. The disconnect button should be kept, in my opinnion. Here is a
>> screen
>> > capture with the disconnect menu for my main wallet:
>> > http://imgur.com/JG6rr8b
>> >
>> > And here is another one showing the capture for another test
>> wallet:
>> > http://imgur.com/UsKIfwH
>> >
>> > The menu entries are obtained from kwalletd which keeps track of
>> it's
>> > clients.
>> >
>> > 4. Autorized applications tab - well I think that's not a bad idea
>> to get
>> > it from kwallet settings here. This would be simply about managing
>> access
>> > rights, isn't it :-)
>>
>> I assumed the "Disconnect" button listed applications authorized to
>> access
>> the wallet. The "Authorized applications" tab was thus another way
>> to show
>> its content. But it seems I got it wrong. What does the "Disconnect"
>> button
>> really list?
>
> kwalletd keeps track of the applications that open wallets. It's dbus
> interface provide a command to selectively disconnect an application
> from it.
> kwalletmanager obtains the list of the applications connected to the
> current
> wallet and build from it the popup menu under the "disconnect"
> button.

Thanks, I understand it better now. Assuming it was also possible to
get
a list of the authorized applications, I created a new revision of the
mockups which show the list of currently connected applications as well
as the list of authorized applications:

http://agateau.com/tmp/kwalletmanager/3/

I think it is good to create a separate tab for those because this way
the application can provide an explanation of the list(s). Being not
intimate with the way KWalletManager works, I didn't understand what
the
"Disconnect" button would do. This may happen to others as well :)

It's worth asking however if users really need a list of the
applications currently accessing the wallet. I have the feeling users
are more concerned about which applications are allowed to read their
wallet than which applications are currently doing so, but maybe I am
missing a situation in which one would want to disconnect applications?

Aurélien