kwalletmanager ui refactor

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Tue Feb 5 09:49:55 GMT 2013

Le Monday 04 February 2013 23:50:49 Valentin Rusu a écrit :
> On Monday 04 February 2013 19:28:42 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> > Le Sunday 03 February 2013 14:50:33 Valentin Rusu a écrit :
> > > A screen capture is far better than a hundred words so here it is:
> > > http://imgur.com/MD3GDxO
> >
> > Hey,
> >
> > Nice work!
>
> Thanks!
>
> > I put together a mockup which reorganize the buttons and split
> > the "Wallet" menu. I think it make things easier to understand. You can
> > find it here:
> >
> > http://agateau.com/tmp/kwalletmanager/
>
> OK, I get the idea. Thanks for the sketches!
>
> Here is my feedback :
>
> 1. The main problem is about the two buttons "new folder" and "delete
> folder". Just take a look to the existing wallet editor. Right clicking in
> the tree list, the one wich shows the folders, have a contextual menu,
> depending on what it's right clicked:
> - on folders you get "new folder" and "delete this folder",
> - on folder items you get "new ..."
> - on passwords you get "new", "rename".
>
> If right clicking in this list seems not to be obvious for the users, maybe
> we could put a text hint saying "right click the list above" instead of the
> buttons? However, I doubt users will not try right click, as this is
> largely used by all the applications out-there. And it'll keep the ui less
> cluttered.

Oh, do you mean the "Wallet..." menu has different content depending on the
selection in the folder list? I assumed the "New folder" and "Delete folder"
actions were always there and thus could be moved below the list.

I agree with you we can expect users to try right-click, especially since the
actions present in the folder context menus are not the most used ones. No
need for a text hint.

> 2. The disconnect button should be kept, in my opinnion. Here is a screen
> capture with the disconnect menu for my main wallet:
> http://imgur.com/JG6rr8b
>
> And here is another one showing the capture for another test wallet:
> http://imgur.com/UsKIfwH
>
> The menu entries are obtained from kwalletd which keeps track of it's
> clients.

> 4. Autorized applications tab - well I think that's not a bad idea to get it
> from kwallet settings here. This would be simply about managing access
> rights, isn't it :-)

I assumed the "Disconnect" button listed applications authorized to access the
wallet. The "Authorized applications" tab was thus another way to show its
content. But it seems I got it wrong. What does the "Disconnect" button really
list?

> Finally, here is my slightly adjusted sketch version:
> http://www.rusu.info/kwalletmanager/

As you said, this looks closely like my second version :)

Aurélien