kwalletmanager ui refactor

Matthew Dawson matthew at mjdsystems.ca
Tue Feb 5 01:50:32 GMT 2013

On February 4, 2013 09:06:01 PM Valentin Rusu wrote:
> On Monday 04 February 2013 03:03:13 Matthew Dawson wrote:
> > On February 3, 2013 04:51:49 PM Thomas Lübking wrote:
> > > Btw: does anybody actually use the systray thing?
> > > I need to see that window ~ once a week and then just launch the
> > > walletmanager (so the systray icon is disabled, but that's afaik not the
> > > default, is it?)
> >
> > Is it really necessary to have a systray icon anyways?  Or would it better
> > to use some alternate way to deal with wallets?  The icon seems to provide
> > only three options:
> >
> > 1) Configure KWallet
> > 2) Close all wallets
> > 3) Launch the main UI.
> >
> > Instead of launching an extra program in the background for those
> > functions, would we be better serviced by a plasmoid applet for dealing
> > with 1+2+3 (or just 2+3) and using an application shortcut for 3?
>
> Well, I actually plan to put in some QML UI, especially for the moment when
> ksecretsservice will become available.
>
> > Having an extra program running in the background seems like a waste of
> > resources for such a simple task.  Instead it could be launched only when
> > necessary, and the applet would handle the quick use cases.  I'd think in
> > the long run that would be the best solution for all.
>
> The wallet manager is not necessary to run in background. As a matter of
> fact, it's even not needed most of the time. For that to happen, it's
> enough to uncheck the "show manager in system tray" in system
> settings/account details/kde wallet.

I think you missed my point.  I wasn't trying to imply kwalletmanager would
remain open unless it was called for.  It behaves perfectly in that sense.  I
was talking only about the systray icon, and whether it was the best way to
achieve the goals.  The icon as is provides only 3 functions, all of which
could be easily done as a plasmoid.  This avoids having an extra process for
those who wish to use the icon.  The main application would remain the same,
in a separate process as it is now.

The other nice benefit of such a plasmoid is one could use it on their
desktop, or widget dashboard, or however they choose.

If that is unwanted, or the systray icon is preferred, then that is fine.  I
was just wondering if a simple applet could replace it, giving a better
experience.

Matthew