kwalletmanager ui refactor

Matthew Dawson matthew at mjdsystems.ca
Mon Feb 4 08:03:13 GMT 2013

On February 3, 2013 04:51:49 PM Thomas Lübking wrote:

> Btw: does anybody actually use the systray thing?
> I need to see that window ~ once a week and then just launch the
> walletmanager (so the systray icon is disabled, but that's afaik not the
> default, is it?)

Is it really necessary to have a systray icon anyways?  Or would it better to
use some alternate way to deal with wallets?  The icon seems to provide only
three options:

1) Configure KWallet
2) Close all wallets
3) Launch the main UI.

Instead of launching an extra program in the background for those functions,
would we be better serviced by a plasmoid applet for dealing with 1+2+3 (or
just 2+3) and using an application shortcut for 3?

Having an extra program running in the background seems like a waste of
resources for such a simple task.  Instead it could be launched only when
necessary, and the applet would handle the quick use cases.  I'd think in the
long run that would be the best solution for all.

Matthew