Moving Baloo and Baloo-widgets into KDE SC

Àlex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Fri Dec 27 17:10:04 GMT 2013

On Tuesday 24 December 2013 23:32:27 Thomas Lübking wrote:
> On Dienstag, 24. Dezember 2013 22:03:28 CEST, Àlex Fiestas wrote:
> > On Tuesday 24 December 2013 21:25:37 Ivan Čukić wrote:
> >> I would like baloo to be available in 4.x, with no API
> >> stability guarantees, ...
> >
> > As I see it, the nepomuk maintainer says it works better than
> > Nepomuk for all
> > cases covered by SC. I don't see any reason not to move forward then.
>
> Since actual ABI is not affected (in terms of "things start to crash"), you
> /can/ do whatever you want, but it still has consequences.
>
> The point is, that you virtually cannot make a release that breaks half the
> former nepomuk clients. You'd get thousands of bug reports about "feature x
> in application y broken/not available" all over the place.
We (I have worked on this) have done our homework, we know all applications
that use Nepomuk (extragear, playground and kde-look) and how they use it. In
most cases it is not even working, in the case where it is they usually only
use tag/notes/ratings.

The most notorious exceptions are to this rule are nepgoogle and webminer.
Maintainers of both projects are already working on porting them to Baloo.

> So either nepomuk and baloo can run (and sync) side by side or there
> eventually needs to be some sort of API wrapper and a very LOUD heads-up!
> to distros to relink everything that's not been ported, so to have baloo
> *completely* replace nepomuk - or baloo can still be added to allow devs
> migrate to it, but in general we stick with nepomuk until P-W/2.
>
> This is not about the quality or sheer sanity advance of Baloo, but the bare
> necessities (yes ;-) of release management.

Let me say again, Nepomuk is not going anyway for 4.XX, people will still be
able to use it (having it indexing files and what not) if they so require.

Finally, I do thing we should make Nepomuk talk to Baloo so they can keep
tags/notes/ratings in Sync, which at the end is the only thing that really
matters.

Cheers.