Nepomuk in 4.13 and beyond

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Dec 12 20:01:12 GMT 2013

On Thursday 12 December 2013, Ignacio Serantes wrote:
> Welcome Baloo,
>
> New suggestions about development direction to avoid some problems related
> to Nepomuk:
>
> 1) Baloo must work as a service to share information with other users and
> minimize resources consumption. With Nepomuk a login is required and in
> multiuser environment this is a problem.
> 2) Data must be stored in one repository to improve information sharing
> with other users in the same or other computers.

Sharing information between users opens the door for security issues.
If it should be running as a service, I'm quite sure some kind of login or
authentication will always be required. And you will need access permissions
and manage them. Or am I missing something ?

> 3) Remote installation will be a good solution in cases you have several,
> with mixed OS or old, computers in your home or your office because some
> users prefer sharing data over speed. With cheap cloud computing have an
> own server running some services will be more common (owncloud, mpd,
> quassel, etc...) so considering this for the future would be great.

This changes the security issues from local exploits to remote exploits. Are
you sure we want to go that way, if the plan is to make things simpler ?

Alex