Nepomuk in 4.13 and beyond

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Dec 12 13:31:51 GMT 2013

hopefully not demonstrating my own naivety about nepomuk ...

On Thursday, December 12, 2013 13:01:29 Ignacio Serantes wrote:
> 1) Baloo must work as a service to share information with other users and
> minimize resources consumption. With Nepomuk a login is required and in
> multiuser environment this is a problem.

a) isn’t it too soon to be talking about resource consumption? making it
multi-user is not free, after all, so it needs to be weighed against the real
cost of it being single user and that is not clear at all yet from what i can
see

b) if a service is desired for information sharing, that should be a separate
piece of software, no?

> 2) Data must be stored in one repository to improve information sharing
> with other users in the same or other computers.

if you read the design notes Vishesh provided, one of the key points is having
separate data repositories for different kinds of data to avoid duplication and
synchronization issues. things like tags get stored in one place, however.

i’m really not sure how having 1 vs N data stores affects information sharing
between users or computers, either.

> 3) Remote installation will be a good solution in cases you have several,
> with mixed OS or old, computers in your home or your office because some
> users prefer sharing data over speed. With cheap cloud computing have an
> own server running some services will be more common (owncloud, mpd,
> quassel, etc...) so considering this for the future would be great.

 having it remote and used from several systems at once raises a whole bunch
of issues that keeping it local does not raise, such as different files being
available on different systems.

replication would be nice, but i don’t see the need to have the system itself
on a remote service.

> 4) Baloo and Milou must compile and work without Akonadi.

nepomuk already does. i don’t see the issue here.

--
Aaron J. Seigo