Nepomuk in 4.13 and beyond

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Thu Dec 12 18:27:29 GMT 2013

On Thursday 12 Dec 2013 19:08:23 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday, December 12, 2013 18:28:24 you wrote:
> > What exactly do you want to integrate?
>
> Plasma Active things.

Could you please enumerate what all that involves? From what I know there is -

1. Metadata model for running queries
2. Timeline based stuff - again, queries
3. Showing File metadata - There is a File class and a FileFetchJob
4. File ratings/comments - There is no API right now as I haven't decided how
to store them. Simeon (an awesome Nepomuk contributor) had the idea of storing
them as extended attributes. I still need to investigate more, but it seems
like a good idea.
5. Tags - read below.

> > > what is the Baloo equivalent of the Nepomuk API currently in kdelibs?
> > > (i’ve looked in the ballo repo, it isn’t clear at first glance)
> >
> > There isn't a clear Resource API any more. There is a nice query API -
> > take
> > a look at baloo/src/core/query.h / term.h. There are some "examples" in
> > the
> > autotests directory.
>
> ok; will there be a Resource style API in future, or will it just be queries
> from here on out?

What would you like to use the Resource class for? There is a replacement for
files, but I have nothing planned for anything else.

> > > i’ve done so and even looked briefly at the code. where do you want the
> > > discussion to occur? i have some technical questions already :)
> >
> > We may as well continue here.
>
> okie dokie.. my first big question is:
>
> how are tags related to data in different stores?

The initial idea was to have a different TagStore which stores information
about tags such as their name, color, icon, etc. Additionally there would be a
TagRelation class which connects anything with a tag.

Have a look at baloo/src/tags/. The code has a large number of unit tests.

That being said, during the PIM Sprint we established that we want server side
tags w.r.t emails and other PIM data. This means two different ways of
accessing tags. I was thinking of throwing away the concept of tagging
anything, and only allow tagging of files. This way we could store the tag
metadata in the extended attributes for a file. From what I hear, Mac also
stores tags as extended attributes.

--
Vishesh Handa