Review Request 111992: Activity bar in QML.

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sun Aug 11 11:39:56 BST 2013

Hi Bhushan,

[The right list for this discussion is plasma-devel at kde.org, I'm CC:ing this
list, let's move the discussion there.]

On Saturday, August 10, 2013 17:18:55 Bhushan Shah wrote:
> Yes! I am showing all activities because if someone wants to switch to
> activity which is not running then he/she have to do it from activity
> manager. That don't make sense to me..

We usually do not just remove features, because we don't understand them. In
the case of the activity bar, I can easily enlighten you, as I'm using it, and
I'm relying on exactly that feature of not showing stopped activities. Likely,
there are many others in the same situation.

I have about 20 Activities configured on this system, I usually use 2 to 3.
The rest are all rather specific that I might use for a couple of days, and
then will not use for weeks or months. Having to scan 20 items every time I
switch between activities would make this very cumbersome.

Our usual and proven approach to porting widgets to QML is to port them
feature-by-feature, wether we like and understand a feature, or we don't --
it's not about our understanding or preferences, it's about what is useful to
the user.

Adding this "only show running Activities" back in is therefore essential for
merging this widget.

There is another catch, however. kde-workspace 4.x is frozen, we are moving
development to the new, Plasma 2 version. Now porting a widget to QML is a
good intermediate step, from there it will be quite easy to port it to
QtQuick2 and Plasma 2, but I thought I'd tell nevertheless.

Cheers,
--
sebas