First draft of a KHumanDateTimeParser class

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Apr 19 07:21:05 BST 2013

On Tuesday 16 April 2013 15:05:51 Denis Steckelmacher wrote:
> if we are a Monday, next Tuesday is tomorrow, not in
> one week.

That's actually an area of disagreement and confusion.
For some people, next tuesday is indeed in one week, for others, next tuesday
is tomorrow.

Duckduckgo'ing (hehe that doesn't flow as well as googling) .... found
something:

I quote:
>There is an English versus Scottish divide on the use of 'Next Tuesday' as
>spoken on, say Thursday. In Scotland, 'Tuesday first' is the very next one
>to arrive, and 'Next Tuesday' is the Tuesday of the following week. In
>England, 'Next Tuesday' is the next one we come to. In New Zealand both
>co-exist, to the confusion of restauranteurs taking bookings and such
>people. You have to give a date. Since I was brought up in England with
>one parent of Scottish descent and have lived in Scotalnd and New Zealand I
>no longer know what I say or what it means, but I think on Thurs 'next
>Tues' for me would be five days later. English system.

http://linguistlist.org/issues/4/4-983.html

Note that kmail has a bit of the opposite functionality: in the message list
it shows "Yesterday", "Monday"...  Very simple. No "last" / "next" business :)
But well that's easy because it's always only about the past.

IMHO KHumanDateTimeParser should avoid "next tuesday" stuff.