Requiring cmake 2.8.9 for kdelibs 4.10 ?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Sep 30 08:51:38 BST 2012

On Saturday 29 September 2012, Michael Pyne wrote:
> On Saturday, September 29, 2012 12:12:43 André Wöbbeking wrote:

> > > What trouble would it cause?
> >
> > Well it's one more dependency to fulfill before you can build KDE.
> > Probably no problem for most people here but maybe for distributions or
> > users.
>
> I've recently had to add support for building CMake to kdesrc-build for
> this reason. This isn't a complaint per se as the work is already done,
> but the price of closely tracking the latest stable release of a
> dependency is pretty much always that it hampers development of KDE
> itself.
>
> 2.8.8 at least has a shot of having packages available in most distros,
> that would obviously not be as true for 2.8.10 (and 2.8.9 would be a
> question as well).
>
> I guess the point is that if we're going to bump the dependency to
> something that isn't broadly available from distro packages then we might
> as well bump the requirement to the latest release. But hopefully we only
> make these bumps when there are clear advantages.

Yes, there have been *many* improvements to cmake between 2.6.4 and current.
This is very much worth it.

The question is how current we go.

* 2.8.8, which some distros may already have ( I think openSUSE 12.2 has
2.8.8)
* 2.8.9 ...less likely that it's already in some distro
* 2.8.10 definitely not available in any distro when we'll require it

Alex