Requiring cmake 2.8.9 for kdelibs 4.10 ?

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Sat Sep 29 15:12:03 BST 2012

On Saturday, September 29, 2012 12:12:43 André Wöbbeking wrote:
> On Saturday 29 September 2012 11:59:04 Rolf Eike Beer wrote:
> > Am Samstag 29 September 2012, 11:48:16 schrieb André Wöbbeking:
> > > Hi Alex,

> > > Do you really need 2.8.9 or would 2.8.8 from April also be sufficient?
> > > The
> > > older version would probably cause less trouble?!?
> >
> > What trouble would it cause?
>
> Well it's one more dependency to fulfill before you can build KDE. Probably
> no problem for most people here but maybe for distributions or users.

I've recently had to add support for building CMake to kdesrc-build for this
reason. This isn't a complaint per se as the work is already done, but the
price of closely tracking the latest stable release of a dependency is pretty
much always that it hampers development of KDE itself.

2.8.8 at least has a shot of having packages available in most distros, that
would obviously not be as true for 2.8.10 (and 2.8.9 would be a question as
well).

I guess the point is that if we're going to bump the dependency to something
that isn't broadly available from distro packages then we might as well bump
the requirement to the latest release. But hopefully we only make these bumps
when there are clear advantages.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne