Requiring cmake 2.8.9 for kdelibs 4.10 ?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sat Sep 29 12:19:30 BST 2012

On Saturday 29 September 2012, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Saturday 29 September 2012 11:48:03 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Saturday 29 September 2012, André Wöbbeking wrote:
> > > Hi Alex,

> > > Do you really need 2.8.9 or would 2.8.8 from April also be sufficient?
> > > The older version would probably cause less trouble?!?
> >
> > Actually I'd prefer 2.8.10, to be released beginning of November, which
> > might even still make it before the dependency freeze :-)
>
> please don't. Debian testing and the next Kubuntu release is currently at
> 2.8.9 (Debian in fact at 2.8.9~rc1-1)

Do you mean they ship cmake 2.8.9 rc1 ?
They should not do that, this can break all kinds of stuff.

> and given that both are frozen there
> is no possibility to get in a new version.
>
> Using a later version means quite a high entry level for hacking on KDE.

I know that.
Installing cmake is as simple as wget'ing the file und untarring it to /opt/.

But how does that differ from requiring other very recent packages, including
Qt ?

Beside, we didn't upgrade cmake since more than 2 years...

But ok, I did not seriously propose to require CMake 2.8.10.

Alex