Help your marketing team!

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Sep 28 19:40:02 BST 2012

On Tuesday 25 September 2012 19:16:43 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We need your help to do better at engaging the world-wide Qt developer
> community. Please answer this question:
>
> "what classes and components in KDELibs/Frameworks 5 do you think are most
> interesting for external Qt developers and why?"

I think the best example is the KArchive frameworks, since Qt developers have
been missing ZIP support in Qt (and other archive formats), as well as single-
file gzip/bzip2/xz compression.

Then there's sonnet, a complete spellchecking framework (core and widgets).

Solid, for hardware detection (http://solid.kde.org iirc)

Threadweaver, for giving out jobs to threads with support for job dependencies
(which is not available in QThreadPool).

KIdleTime, detecting when the user is not using the computer (cross-platform)

KConfig, a non-deprecated configuration framework :-)
 (with better API and more features than the almost-deprecated QSettings)

Many addons for the model/view framework (currently called "itemmodels", maybe
that's a bit too generic though).

KIO, a "VFS" implementation based on Qt.

KCoreAddons, for
* a job 'framework' for asynchronous tasks
* random numbers / random strings / random ordering in lists
* auto-saving, backups
* file locking (which I plan to try and move to Qt for 5.1)

A large number of additional widgets (capacity bar, led, ruler, selector,
separator, x/y selector, ... a lot more coming)

XMLGUI, for user-configurable desktop GUIs (menus/toolbars/shortcuts).

And a lot more....

> Please add explanations and links to documentation where possible.

Not sure you want links to the code... but right now there isn't much more
(like per-framework web space and general information...)