Nepomuk Metadata Extractor moved to KDE Review

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Oct 31 21:28:04 GMT 2012

Hi Jörg,

On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 19:59:52 Jörg Ehrichs wrote:
> 2012/10/31 Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org>:
> > This doesn't look like it's kdelibs material anyway, so it's not affected
> > by the kdelibs freeze.
>
> The only reason to put in into kde-libs is the fact, that all other
> Nepomuk stuff is in there too.

kde-runtime has Nepomuk bits, too, other things have been split into nepomuk-
core and nepomuk-widgets. Maybe Vishesh can weigh in here?

> > I'm not sure where to put it consequentially, though, it does sound like
> > something useful to have in a base system at first glance, as it would
> > really be a good way to show how Nepomuk is useful beyond what the
> > filesystem already offers.
>
> That's my problem, I have no idea where it really could belong. So
> I'll settle for extragear/base for now as I think that's the best
> solution for now.
>
> While most parts can be safely installed by any user, the
> Nepomuk2:Service should only be installed/activated, if the user is
> aware of its function.

How are you going to make sure the user is aware of its function?

> As it tends to query web resources a lot
> (especially when nepomuk indexes files the first time).
> This is not something someone wants on a low bandwidth/Mobile/Limited
> internet connection

If it doesn't behave as the user would expect it to (i.e. first, not render
the system unusable for a long time, query third party sourcees), it needs
fixing. The key is not that it does something, the key is that it should
provide value to the user, not break his or her system, or endanger privacy.

Can't you come up with a gentle solution? It should:

- not bog down the system
- make sure the user understands which online resources are queried

Those might need some UI work, but I think it could turn the metadataextractor
into something rather useful *and* user-friendly.

> But I assume this is something the packagers have to split.

That would be almost making sure that it will hit users. In general, never
assume something's going to be fixed by packagers, they, too, need something
that can just be slapped into a package, and which should behave well by
default. :/

Cheers,
--
sebas