What is the git workflow for kdelibs ?

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Wed Oct 31 09:14:20 GMT 2012

Le mardi 30 octobre 2012 12:16:40 David Faure a écrit :

> > Ok, thanks.
> > Is this documented somewhere ?
>
> No (I described it in an email some time ago, but it's not on any wiki)
> If you have an idea for where we could document it, I will then push other
> module maintainers to also write up the git workflow they want to see, since
> I myself have the same question in other modules.
>
> I think community.kde.org would be the right place (it's internal, it
> doesn't affect KDE app devels outside of git.kde.org), but all I can see
> about git is http://community.kde.org/Sysadmin/GitKdeOrgManual
> which is more about the technical setup.
>
> Maybe start a new webpage at the toplevel of community.kde.org?
> GitWorkflowForEachModule? :-)

Would love such a page as well, but rather on techbase, as others suggested.

Additionally, when merging strategy is commit-to-stable then merge-into-
master, it would be great if the document explicitly stated who is responsible
for the merge-into-master step.
I personally think it should be up to the person who commit to stable to
merge into master. Unfortunately this is not how it works right now in kdelibs
and I noticed people are expecting other repositories to work like kdelibs, as
in someone is going to merge into master for them.

We could gently push people into doing the merging with two changes:

Change #1 would be modifying the message you get when you push to a stable
branch (the message which says "this commit is available at http://...") to
include a reminder among the lines of "don't forget to merge this commit into
master, see http://techbase.kde.org/... for more info"

Change #2 would be a cron job which would periodically checks for unmerged
commits and send emails to committers of unmerged commits which are older than
1 or 2 days.

#1 is probably easy to do, #2 would require more work I assume, but shouldn't
be too difficult, something like this gives you the email addresses of all
commiters of unmerged commits:

git log --pretty="%an <%ae>" origin/master..origin/KDE/4.9 \
   | grep -v scripty at kde.org  | sort | uniq

Aurélien