What is the git workflow for kdelibs ?

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 30 11:49:36 GMT 2012

On 30 Oct 2012 11:23, "David Jarvie" <djarvie at kde.org> wrote:

> On Tue, October 30, 2012 11:16 am, David Faure wrote:
> > On Sunday 28 October 2012 09:16:56 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> >> Ok, thanks.
> >> Is this documented somewhere ?
> >
> > No (I described it in an email some time ago, but it's not on any wiki)
> > If you have an idea for where we could document it, I will then push
other
> > module maintainers to also write up the git workflow they want to see,
> > since I
> > myself have the same question in other modules.
> >
> > I think community.kde.org would be the right place (it's internal, it
> > doesn't
> > affect KDE app devels outside of git.kde.org), but all I can see about
git
> > is
> > http://community.kde.org/Sysadmin/GitKdeOrgManual
> > which is more about the technical setup.
> >
> > Maybe start a new webpage at the toplevel of community.kde.org?
> > GitWorkflowForEachModule? :-)
>
> Wouldn't techbase be more appropriate? It's technical information, plus
> techbase is where other policies are kept.
>
> I must say that the split between community.kde.org and techbase.kde.org
> isn't very satisfactory because the boundaries are blurred, and it's easy
> to miss information if it's in the other one from what you expect it to be
> in.

We have a section on TecBase for Git related documentation, and I think our
Git workflow is needed information for anyone attempting to access our
repos so belongs on TechBase.  See techbase.kde.org/Developmemt/Git where
I've linked under Policy to various proposals. We also need to formally
update the old SVN Commit Policy to reflect the new age, I did start on it
but stalled waiting for the kdelibs workflow to be finalised.

John.