What is the git workflow for kdelibs ?

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Oct 30 11:16:40 GMT 2012

On Sunday 28 October 2012 09:16:56 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Saturday 27 October 2012, Allen Winter wrote:
> > On Saturday 27 October 2012 03:23:34 PM Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have worked since last year basically only in the kdelibs frameworks
> > > branch...
> > >
> > > So, what is the git workflow for KDE 4.x kdelibs ?
> > > I looked around on techbase.kde.org, also here
> > > https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdelibs , but couldn't find
> > > documentation.
> > > (This one http://techbase.kde.org/Policies still only has a "SVN Commit
> > > Policy" link, and AFAIK this
> > > http://community.kde.org/KDE_Core/Platform_11/Git_Workflow is not being
> > > used).
> > >
> > > So, should I simply pull and push to master, and somebody else will
> > > merge
> > > into the 4.10 branch ?
> >
> > No. Stay away from the kdelibs master branch.
> > Besides only a small set of people can commit into that branch.
> >
> > For your average bug fix the work flow is:
> > - commit into KDE/4.9
> > - merge into KDE/4.10
> >
> > If you have something that should go into 4.10 only, then simply commit
> > into KDE/4.10
>
> Ok, thanks.
> Is this documented somewhere ?

No (I described it in an email some time ago, but it's not on any wiki)
If you have an idea for where we could document it, I will then push other
module maintainers to also write up the git workflow they want to see, since I
myself have the same question in other modules.

I think community.kde.org would be the right place (it's internal, it doesn't
affect KDE app devels outside of git.kde.org), but all I can see about git is
http://community.kde.org/Sysadmin/GitKdeOrgManual
which is more about the technical setup.

Maybe start a new webpage at the toplevel of community.kde.org?
GitWorkflowForEachModule? :-)