Trojitá, an IMAP e-mail client, and KDE

Jan Kundrát jkt at flaska.net
Tue Nov 13 15:38:35 GMT 2012

Hi,
I'm the maintainer of Trojitá [1], a fast and lightweight IMAP e-mail client written using Qt. I also have a KDE "SVN" account and am occasionally contributing to KPhotoAlbum (which is what get me hooked up with Qt and C++ in general). A few months ago, I started wondering about making Trojitá a part of KDE and after a couple of yesterday's conversaitons at the Qt Developer Days I've decided not to postpone this and ask right away.

Right now, Trojitá is a pure Qt application which does not use any KDE classes at all (it ships with an in-tree copy of basic, low-level stuff like the RFC2047 decoders, though). I would definitely like to retain the possibility to build without KDE installed at all, but I have nothing against optionally using KDE's stuff (and I've always wished to use KMessageWidget anyway).

I realize that this might be a slightly unusual case, but I've read through various HOWTOs, manifestos, public documents and wiki pages stating what KDE is, and it seems that there's nothing which would disqualify Trojitá form acceptance. However, in the end, it's always about what people think, how they feel and what they like. There's also an e-mail client in KDE already, and I'd hate to step on people's toes here. I also admit that (at least in the short term), Trojitá would probably gain much more than KDE if this proposal gets accepted. But I§m going to ask anyway.

So, would the KDE community be interested in making Trojitá a part of KDE's extragear?

With kind regards,
Jan

[1] http://trojita.flaska.net/

--