QtScript considered dangerous

Dominik Haumann dhaumann at kde.org
Fri May 25 10:14:17 BST 2012

On Thursday, May 24, 2012 12:57:14 David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 24 May 2012 10:59:21 Dominik Haumann wrote:
> > they said they will probably not spent the considerable amount of time
> > in updating the archaic jsc checkout used in QtScript.
>
> What about the solution of updating the JSC in QtScript, and submitting
> that on codereview.qt-project.org?
>
> I.e. actually treating Qt like an opensource project and contributing the
> fix upstream?
>
> The fact that no Qt developer will do it himself, doesn't mean they are
> opposed to it, if someone contributes the patch, does it?

That would certainly be the correct solution.

On [1], the Kent Hansen says:
  We maintained a set of patches on top of the upstream JavaScriptCore
  to be able to support the full QtScript API, but the maintenance cost
  was too high. The patches relied on JSC internals that are subject to
  change at any time. The public JSC C API wasn't extensive enough to
  be able to implement the QtScript API on top of. [...]
So it's probably non-trivial to create this patch (haven't looked into
it, though), a dead end as it's Qt4, and unclear, whether such a patch
would be accepted at all in the Qt 4.x line, given that the focus is
on Qt5 now.

[1] https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-16478?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#issue-tabs

Greetings,
Dominik