KDE mailing lists - a few questions

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed May 23 22:30:39 BST 2012

On Wednesday, May 23, 2012 17:39:52 Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> I am a moderator for several mailing lists, some of these for the fsfe
> and those have most likely an equal amount of spam traffic than KDE
> lists. Worse even for the 3  mailing lists I moderate in the *ubuntu
> space, it sometimes peaks at 30 spam messages a day for one of them,
> but it is easily handled with listadmin and quite fast, so not
> something I consider "much overhead". Part of the morning routine with
> a cup of coffee

Might differ per person, every request for a moderation (even if it's just one
lick) causes work, and if necessary, I'd like to avoid it. With mailinglist,
those "small tasks" can pile up quite quickly.

> "A false sense of transparency" - I don't see what you mean by that,
> there already are mailing lists with private archives in the listinfo
> and I don't see how that would cause people to try to obscure things.
> But maybe I misunderstand what you mean

With that I mean that putting a mailinglist on the list to make things more
transparant, only for users to find out that they can't join it is worse than
not having the mailinglist listed.

In fact, only listing mailinglists with outside relevance makes it much easier
to find and pick the right one, as the list to sift through is much shorter
and less ambivalent. (Yes, I've explained many people that kde-promo is just
fine instead of kde-ev-marketing. Did it make anyone feel better? I doubt it.
Can it be easily avoided? Absolutely.)

Have a nice evening,
--
sebas