KDE mailing lists - a few questions

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Wed May 23 16:39:52 BST 2012

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 4:52 PM, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 23, 2012 16:07:48 Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
>> So IMHO these lists should be visible in the mailiman/listinfo, with a
>> description. There already is a lot of criticism about hidden mailing
>> lists with unknown agendas among the KDE community, a minimum of
>> transparency about what list exist and what the lists are about is not
>> asking too much.
>
> I think with respect to that, much of it is probably idle conspiracy theorism,
> don't pay too much attention to it. It's usual the less useful people who find
> the time to complain about that. (Makes me wonder about their agendas, but in
> fact -- not really.)
>
> Mailinglist which aren't meant for public consumption are not very useful in
> the list info, that only attracts spammers, adds a lot of overhead for the
> moderators, and doesn't add anything other than some false sense of
> transparency (realistically, it achieves the opposite).

I am a moderator for several mailing lists, some of these for the fsfe
and those have most likely an equal amount of spam traffic than KDE
lists. Worse even for the 3  mailing lists I moderate in the *ubuntu
space, it sometimes peaks at 30 spam messages a day for one of them,
but it is easily handled with listadmin and quite fast, so not
something I consider "much overhead". Part of the morning routine with
a cup of coffee :)

"A false sense of transparency" - I don't see what you mean by that,
there already are mailing lists with private archives in the listinfo
and I don't see how that would cause people to try to obscure things.
But maybe I misunderstand what you mean

> I understood your email as attempt to sort out the mailinglist "mess" (is
> it?)...

Yes, that was definitely also part of the plan, thanks for the
information about the ones that can be removed.

Regards, Myriam

Protect your freedom and join the Fellowship of FSFE:done
http://www.fsfe.org