The Nepomuk Situation

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Mon May 7 13:49:01 BST 2012

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 6:13 PM, Sebastian Trüg <trueg at kde.org> wrote:

> On 05/07/2012 02:35 PM, Vishesh Handa wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Sebastian Trüg <trueg at kde.org
> > <mailto:trueg at kde.org>> wrote:
> >

> >     On 05/07/2012 12:09 PM, Vishesh Handa wrote:
> >
> >     > So, we're down to 3 options -
> >     >
> >     > *1.* nepomuk-core become a dependency of kdelibs. Kdelibs is not
> >     touched.
> >     > *Problem:* Overlapping headers and possible mysterious crashes if
> both
> >     > libraries are loaded.
> >     >
> >     > *2.* nepomuk-core installs headers under nepomuk2. It's released
> >     > independently.
> >     > *Problem:* Mysterious crashes if both libraries are loaded.
> >     >
> >     > *3.* nepomuk-core installs headers under nepomuk2 and the
> namespace is
> >     > changed to nepomuk2.
> >     > *Problem:* A lot more work :(
> >
> >     Well, I suppose we could make this work with some sed magic. :P
> >     I would vote for option 3 which could then be reverted (or not) for
> >     kde5.
> >

> > I would prefer option 2.
> >
> > The mysterious crashes would only happen if an application's plugin
> > links to the incorrect libraries.
> >
> > Is that a possibility for us?
>
> I already experienced that. Took me a while to find the reason.

Alright.

I would like the Nepomuk2 namespace and include directories be removed for
the frameworks, but I guess it is not a big deal if that doesn't happen.

----

Okay, everyone. This is the point where you chime in and say - "We're okay
with this" or you raise your objections. We would like to get this mess
sorted in time for the 4.9 release.

--
Vishesh Handa