RFC: i18n: drop KUIT tags in KDE Frameworks 5.0?

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Sat Mar 24 07:50:39 GMT 2012

On Saturday 24 March 2012 00.14.03 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> On Friday, March 23, 2012 08:12:53 PM Thomas Zander wrote:
> > Read those numbers again; its kinda depressing really;
>
> I don't have numbers but almost nobody is taking "close care" of
> accessibility when developing applications, should be removed it? no we do
> not.

The difference here is that there is a way to get consistent look and feel
without using this feature.  Whereas with a11y there is not.
Specifically; of the 24 tags how many can you get people to care about the look
and feel sufficiently to make a difference.  If history is any guide, just some,
and just a little bit.

> I think that this feature, as Albert said is something that we should
> promote and try to get people to use them.

This defending of "Dont take my feature away, I promise to use it from not on"
just sounds hollow to me.
In reality it will be really hard to actually show significant improvements in
message display to a user over plain html usage, it certainly is infinitely
harder to learn.

For reference; how many of these are really showing something different on
screen that app-developers care about?
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Localization/i18n_Semantics#Semantic_Tags

In short; the deck is stacked against you, and short of proposing to do the
work, I hope you can take the last 4 years as a guide to how big an uptake
things got.
I personally think we should not tell Chusslove to back out of his plan just
because we *hope* some people other than us will start using this feature.

> What we can do thuough is break compatibility and implement them in some
> other way since their usage is so low.

Good point.

--
Thomas Zander