Review Request: include KolorManager in kdegraphics

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Fri Mar 16 15:16:10 GMT 2012

2012/3/16 John Layt <jlayt at kde.org>:
> On Wednesday 14 Mar 2012 15:54:54 Matthias Klumpp wrote:
>> Hi!
>> Colord - just to mention that - is also not a GNOME project, it's a
>> FreeDesktop project. (Doesn't mean it's "standard", but does mean that
>> it's not GNOME) So everyone is free to contribute to it, and the
>> maintainer is interested in collaborating with KDE. (which he already
>> does very nicely)
>
> There is no such thing as a FreeDesktop project.  FreeDesktop sets standards
> like desktop files, it doesn't build or choose implementations.  Just because
> a project chooses to use fdo facilities does not mean it has been chosen or
> blessed by fdo.  There is no process for fdo to do such a thing. It is a
> failing of fdo that it doesn't do so, and that it doesn't stop people form
> claiming to be fdo projects when they are not. /rant
>
> What colord is is a Red Hat project, or more exactly a Richard Hughes project
> that Red Hat has allowed him to work on and Gnome has chosen to use.
Hi!
>From fd.o:
> freedesktop.org is not a formal standards organization, though some see a need for one that covers some of the areas we are working on.
> [...]
> Unlike a standards organization, freedesktop.org is a "collaboration zone" where ideas and code are tossed around, and de facto specifications are encouraged.
If you consider this, it's perfectly sane to call stuff which is
hosted on fd.o and uses fd.o namespaces (e.g. on DBus) is a
Freedesktop-project. You also need to apply for a new project first
and fd.o admins can reject it. Anyway, this doesn't mean
Freedeskop-Projects are standard, it just means that they're on a
public "collaboration-place" between desktops like KDE and GNOME. But
telling it a Richard Hughes project is describing it well too :)
Kind regards,
    Matthias