Review Request: include KolorManager in kdegraphics

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Fri Mar 16 03:11:25 GMT 2012

On Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:11:34 Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Am 14.03.12, 22:15 -0400 schrieb Michael Pyne:
> > The problem is that the software is /like/ KDE but doesn't use any KDE
> > technologies. To best utilize a given subsystem we would typically use at
> > least a light abstraction layer, using Oyranos (at this stage) entails a
> > KDE abstraction layer on top of a KDE-like abstraction layer (unless KDE
> > apps code to Oyranos directly, which I don't see as likely in general).
> > This API impedance mismatch is undesirable for much the same reasons that
> > we don't typically code to glib or gobject APIs.
>
> Do you suggest a KDE wrapper for Oyranos objects and functions?

Well, I suggest that if KDE is to support color management at essentially any
level deeper than just providing a UI to e.g. select a color profile for a
display and printer, that it would be done with a KDE-style API, that could
wrap Oyranos, or could wrap any other feasible implementation. Something like
Phonon or Solid.

> I hope to have adressed that already from my side.
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=133180205024971&w=2

Thanks for the link straight to the relevant email. :)

> Oyranos makes sense to user, who have no idea that colour management
> exists. So they have no idea that it would be good for them.

Well your link says that Oyranos "just works", and your statement here seems
to suggest that Oyranos does this without much (if any) user intervention.
Given all the other features supported by Oyranos I have to assume that this
requires at least some support from the application and/or toolkit level, no?

Keeping that in mind it would seem that to get the full benefit of Oyranos
that there would need to be deeper integration work than just adding
KolorManager (which I understand is separate from this thread's topic).

Returning to the topic at-hand, I will say (and this is just my opinion) that
I think this application would be best suited for extragear/graphics when it
moves out of playground, based on the low level of integration (both with
KDE's desktop and the other toolkit/infra work needed). If/when color
management becomes more supported in Qt and KDE then it would make more sense
to have CMS configuration in kdegraphics for the available CMS system(s). But
until then having this in kdegraphics without support from skanlite, Qt, our
printing layer, etc. really seems to promise more than a KDE desktop can
deliver right now. Even if it were to be in kdegraphics it should be an
optional build item (dependent on whether oyranos is available or not).

Like I said, that's just my opinion... I'm neither involved in kdegraphics
development nor the kdegraphics module maintainer.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne