Review Request: include KolorManager in kdegraphics

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Mar 14 21:57:01 GMT 2012

On Wednesday 14 March 2012 Mar, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 March 2012, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > On Wednesday 14 March 2012 21.29.09 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > > The wiki page somebody pointed to mentioned that colord is linux-only,
> > > while  oyranos also works on Windows and OSX.
> > >
> > > If we chose colord, how does our solution for Windows and OSX look like ?
> > > Does kolormanager work under Windows and OSX ?
> >
> > Matthias answered your question very well, and I agree with him.
> > Let me ask you a return question;  with the heavy dependency on X11 in
> > oyranos but with colord already starting work on wayland, how will we
> > support wayland soon?
>
> I know basically nothing about color management systems.

Well, that's true for nearly everyone in this discussion. It's not a discussion based on facts, it's a discussion based on impressions, guesses, hunches and misconceptions.

> Don't some applications needs some kind of interface to use the color
> management system ?

Yes. Right now, the only interface Krita uses is the X11 atom to set the monitor profile, and for the rest, we let people select profiles from disk. This is very limited. We're not interested yet in printing or scanning, but once that comes we need to talk to the platform color management system directly.

Unless there is something cross-platform that we can talk to instead. That's worth any amount of dependencies in my book.

> Or is it only for setting up X, the printer, Wayland, etc.
>
> In the first case, if applications (e.g. krita) need some way to work with the
> color management system, wouldn't it be good if KDE provided one interface on
> all platforms ?

That is definitely true. If oyranos papers over the differences between the Linux, Windows and OSX color management systems, that is absolutely fantastic. I don't want to write my own abstraction library to query colorsync, colord and so on.

I actually started doing that last year, in fact, and then decided not to continue. It was when I tried to implement colord support during LGM, and figured that I'd need to implement similar support on Windows and OSX since my cross-platform app now was using platform-dependent things.

--
Boudewijn Rempt