Proposed adjustments to our release cycles

Sebastian Kügler sebasje at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 12:05:44 BST 2012

Hi all,

During our sprint in Pineda de Mar, we sat down and thought about how our
release cycles relate to the structures in our software, we came up with the
following proposal we'd like you to consider and provide feedback about.

Starting with KDE Frameworks 5, we will release Frameworks, Workspaces and
Applications each with their own release cycles. Each of these releases would
be a set of tarballs of the latest stable versions of the application (or
codebase in more general).
As an example, Frameworks could release updates every 2 months, while our
application collection is updated monthly. New iterations of the workspaces
come every four months. (These numbers are completely arbitrary, and here only
for illustration purpose!)

More specifically for the Workspaces, we would like to release all workspaces
at the same time.

This model would

* Allow components to skip releases if they need to take a longer development
  cycle
* encourage developers to have an always releasable master
* put more emphasis on continuous integration and other automated testing

As far as we can judge, this would be in line with our communication strategy,
and allow us to target different groups more clearly. That is something to
streamline with the people at kde-promo, though.

Opinions?

Aurelien, David, Dario, Vishesh, Alex, Aleix, Martin, Martin, Marco, Björn,
Kevin, and
--
sebas