ALERT: KDElibs (at least) 4.8.4 is actually 4.8.80+

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Jun 9 22:20:16 BST 2012

On Saturday 09 June 2012, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> things that change APIs, that do not leave kdelibs non-useful on large %s
> of user systems, etc. would therefore not meet the likely requirements.
> and i say that as someone who is sitting on patches to kparts (written by
> Ivan, not me :) that i would LOVE to see in kdelibs now rather than later
> (we use those patches in Active images actually :) ... so this is a standard
> i believe in strongly enough to hold my own interests to as well :)

The fact that such patches are shipped as distro patches in Active images
rather than upstreamed into kdelibs as they should is actually one of the
major obstacles to getting Plasma Active packaged in general-purpose
distributions. You are not actually hurting yourself with this decision (you
just carry those patches as distro patches, while at the same time complaining
that we do the same thing to our Plasma improvements in Fedora), you are
hurting everyone else trying to package Plasma Active.

The kdelibs freeze was a major mistake and such a wrong decision should be
fixed to the extent still possible (at least reopen kdelibs 4.10 for new
features, even though the fallout of kdelibs 4.8 and 4.9 having been bugfix-
only is already bad enough) and never be made again.

        Kevin Kofler