ALERT: KDElibs (at least) 4.8.4 is actually 4.8.80+

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Jun 9 11:58:59 BST 2012

On Saturday, June 9, 2012 12:20:23 Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
> rewritten or broken. However, imposing this branch weirdness on everyone
> else for pure political reasons is just wrong.

it isn't for political reasons.

kdelibs development is focusing on 5.0. there are no further feature releases
in the 4.x line being made due to this. this development effort it so ensure
kdelibs has a seamless upgrade path for Qt5 in a way that won't cause havoc
when that time comes, which is relatively soon.

we assumed (hopefully not incorrectly) that packagers are be technically
sophisticated enough to deal with kdelibs remaining at 4.8.x while workspaces
and apps increase in version #. this doesn't seem like an overly difficult thing
to request, particularly compared to the effort required to get 5.0 together.
the packagers who were in attendance at the Platform 11 meeting last year
seemed to concur that this was a reasonable expectation, even if it would
require some communication and cooperation.

now, i really don't understand the use of words like stupid and dumb. it
really goes against the KDE Code of Conduct, which i'd like to remind us of
given the last two emails:

	http://www.kde.org/code-of-conduct/

instead of getting upset, step back for a moment and understand what the libs
developers are doing and try to support them in their (hard) efforts.

cheers and happy hacking ...

--
Aaron J. Seigo