more information in backtraces

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Jul 12 20:55:32 BST 2012

On Thursday 12 July 2012 19:37:16 Dominik Haumann wrote:
> On Thursday, 12. July 2012 18:13:22 David Faure wrote:
> > On Thursday 05 July 2012 15:39:33 Dominik Haumann wrote:
> > > Here, startPos is a Cursor, but we cannot see its values.
> > >
> > > It would help tremendously sometimes to know the line/column values. So
> > > having "startPos=(4, 2)" instead of "startPos=...".
> > >
> > > Is there any way to provide this feature to get better backtraces [...]
> > > ?
> >
> > Compile your code in "debugfull" mode.
>
> Ok, I do that, but distros do not :)

Ah, I see. Well, you can't do anything against compiler optimizations in
binary packages. However if there's a frequent location for crashes, you could
always add a kDebug for the line/column values. Distros don't disable debug
output at compiletime anymore, but at runtime (i.e. it can be enabled with
kdebugdialog).
Of course doing it in a method called in a tight loop would create performance
issues.