Using userbase for manuals

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sun Jul 1 19:33:26 BST 2012

Am 01.07.2012 17:45, schrieb Chusslove Illich:
> But, when program authors do decide that they want to have reference
> documentation, I don't see how any workflow can be technically more
> suitable
> (easier to write, easier to maintain) than the documentation source
> files
> residing right with the code, in the program's repository.

which is not the case. To be honest I have no idea where to find the
documentation of kwin, but I know it's not in our source code directory.
On the other hand, I know where the documentation is in the wiki -
google finds it ;-)

> What I'm not claiming is
> that documentation sources must be Docbook, and I suspect that
> Docbook is
> what's driving many people away from maintaining documentation in
> this way.

Yeah, I think you are quite right with that assumption. Even if I knew
where to find KWin documentation, I would not touch it due to the fact
that it's docbook (tried it once, decided again that xml is just a form
of binary and I don't write binary).

Using Wiki markup is much more natural and with future MediaWiki
releases we will even have WYSIWYG editors.

Cheers
Martin Gräßlin