Using userbase for manuals

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Sun Jul 1 18:54:37 BST 2012

>> [: Chusslove Illich :]
>> [...] Could it be that you are simply driven away by the Docbook's
>> towering hulk? :)
>
> [: Eike Hein :]
> Yes - that's basically what I alluded to re "gives you easy preview".

Right, so there are a few ways to think about this.

One is that even wanting a preview when using Docbook is a sort of workflow
error :) (When I write Docbook, I never take previews while writing.)

Another is that a simple tool is missing (or maybe not missing, I don't
know) to show you the rendering when you execute it with Docbook file as
argument. For example, coming back to that Mallard format I mentioned, here
is what they have to say about preview:

> [: Mallard Ten Minute Tour :]
> [...] You can view this document by calling yelp from the command line and
> passing it the full path to the directory containing the page files. For
> example, if you have placed index.page in /home/drake/mydocument/, enter
> this at the command line:
>
>   yelp /home/drake/mydocument/

(from http://projectmallard.org/about/learn/tenminutes.html). It works also
when you give it a particular Mallard file, even if it is not the master
file. I can't imagine it easier than this. Not to mention it needs no
communication with the server, and could be easily invoked from whatever
editor.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)