Using userbase for manuals

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Jul 1 14:33:09 BST 2012

El Diumenge, 1 de juliol de 2012, a les 14:37:44, Alexander Dymo va escriure:
> 2012/7/1 Eike Hein <hein at kde.org>:
> > Ultimately Albert isn't wrong with his concern, but the reality
> > seems to be that we just can't get our act together on the
> > offline documentation while maintaining the wiki comes a lot
> > easier to us. And it's better to have wiki documentation than
> > no good documentation, IMHO.
>
> I 100% agree with Eike. Albert is right, but in reality there're two
> things we need to consider
> 1) documentation maintainability
>     development teams consistently fail to maintain documentation, so
> quality and completeness get hurt

That's why we have an amazing documentation team at kde-doc-english at kde.org

They will be happy writting/updating your documentation, you only need to tell
them where and what needs work and you'll get a new and shiny docbook

I just got the Okular one updated by them and I didn't even answer for it :-)

> 2) user involvement
>     for KDevelop the best documentation is usually written by users,
> userbase wikis are a better way to involve users than docbooks

I don't agree with that, users are good writting tips for eachother but not
necessarily good at organizing the content in a coherent and sensible way.

Cheers,
  Albert