Using userbase for manuals

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun Jul 1 12:35:35 BST 2012

On Sunday 01 July 2012 Jul, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Sunday 01 July 2012 Jul, Eike Hein wrote:
> > On 07/01/2012 07:02 AM, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > > After yesterday's discussion where David said that for frameworks/qt5 the help center invocation is actually one of the trickier things, I'm giving this out for consideration for other app developers...
> >
> > Over at Konversation we've likewise struggled to keep our Docbook
> > manual going: It's still among the better ones around, but we've
> > been terribly lazy and let it rot, and if it hadn't been for
> > Burkhard Lück showing it some love last year, it'd would probably
> > be too outdated to use by now.
> >
> > At the same time we're doing reasonably well at maintaining our
> > Userbase presence. We used to have our own MediaWiki installation
> > but migrated everything to Userbase last year, and I wrote some
> > software that sends report mails to our development mailing list
> > highlighting changes and new pages so we can review them and make
> > sure the quality stays high.
>
> I want that! I _so_ want that, too!

I just got that :-). I'm very happy with it, but Eike is right that it probably wouldn't scale, being a poller. It's really something that needs to be fixed in the wiki system, so we can get a mail for every change to a manual done in the wiki. I'm just to dependent on getting all my updates in kmail...

--
Boudewijn Rempt