Using userbase for manuals

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun Jul 1 06:02:28 BST 2012

I'm actually not sure kde-core-devel is the right list... But the e.V. mailing list certainly isn't, and we don't seem to have any place for discussions that affect KDE as a whole.

In any case, Ingo Malchow said in his blog (http://blog.neverendingo.de/?p=125)

"We have a great userbase.kde.org but developers don’t use it that much, nor is there any links from applications towards Userbase."

Well, actually we have. I replaced the offline help documentation in Krita with a link to the manual on userbase. I have done this for two reasons:

* I couldn't maintain the offline manual anyway after the change to 2.0
* this way the user gets sent right to the place where they can contribute to the manual (and I've got users contributing to it now)

I'm not concerned that users cannot access the help when they are off-line. That's a vanishingly rare situation these days, the big thing is that it gets users right where they can fix the manual (Except on windows, where the browser invocation seems broken).

After yesterday's discussion where David said that for frameworks/qt5 the help center invocation is actually one of the trickier things, I'm giving this out for consideration for other app developers...

--
Boudewijn Rempt