KDE Frameworks 5: Rhythm

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 15:17:38 GMT 2012

Kevin Ottens wrote:
> There's three main reasons for this rhythm:
>  * Qt 5.0 feature freeze is upon us now;
>  * CMake 2.8.8 will be released in April;
>  * it'd be nice to release KDE Frameworks 5.0 at Akademy[*].

You mean 'some of the frameworks'? They won't all be done by then. More
stuff will need to get into Qt before that's possible.

> To that effect we did some modifications to the active wiki pages:
>  * Now we have one page per Qt version we want to target for pushing
>  features
> in Qt, the Qt 5.0 page contains the really critical stuff we want to see
> achieved:
> http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Epics/Qt_5.0_Merging

Some of the stuff on that page that isn't close to done is almost impossible
at this point.

* command line arguments - potential bikeshed. Discussion would have been
needed weeks ago on the Qt5 list for it to be possible. Is anyone driving
it? If it really can't wait until Qt 5.1 there needs to at least be a
subtask for it here: https://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-20885
* KAction/QAction stuff - Don't know what's needed. If QAction needs new
virtual method that would need to be determined soon. Is anyone driving
that? Again, needs subtask here if it's going to happen:
https://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-20885
* Ssl stuff - I don't know.
* i18n - AFAIU nothing is going to happen in that area.
* refcounted quit - might happen.
* locale stuff - Don't know. Depends on John.
* timezone - I want to take ownership and 'do what python does'
https://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-23509, which David confirmed
the sense in, but waiting on response from John.
* Thiagos stuff - I don't know.

If all of that stuff is going to move along, the actions need to happen on
Qt lists and review trackers basically within 2 weeks or sooner.

Thanks for the update,

Steve.