KDE Accessibility Docmentation

Frederik Gladhorn gladhorn at kde.org
Sat Jan 21 01:01:03 GMT 2012

Hi,

after a few requests, I spent some time today trying to provide a some documentation for KDE accessibility.
Keep in mind that this is such a broad topic that I can only hope to see the tip of the iceberg.
I am currently in A Coruña at the Gnome accessibility hackfest in order to learn and cooperate.

I put the documentation in two places, trying to give it some structure but I know it needs some help and polish.
If you spot errors or think that it can be improved, please do so.

The user documentation can be found here:
http://userbase.kde.org/Accessibility

My request to people testing kde applications with screen readers would be to record your experiences. Especially when an application is almost useable, send a mail to the kde-accessibility at kde.org list and maybe put a few notes in the list of applications (http://userbase.kde.org/Accessibility/Application_Overview).
Yes, I think it is about time to start testing. I know there are a few open bugs, we put a first round into Qt 4.8.1 today.

For developers, I tried to summarize some things here:
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Accessibility

It would be great if people with actual knowledge of what needs to be done for good experiences with screen readers and other accessibility needs could add to the checklist.

If you would like to help with this effort, please let me know.
I'm looking for help with moving the good contents that may lurk on accessibility.kde.org over to the wikis.
If you can generally check/proofread/improve the documentation, that would be fabulous.

I have some work for applications started, an unfinished Kate patch for example, but we need feedback, which appliations you would like to be accessible.
On the other hand, I'm more than happy for every developer that is interested in fixing their application or doing some general work in this area.
And finally we need people to help test all this, best if you want an application to be usefull to you. Feedback appreciated!

Join #kde-accessibility on freenode.

Cheers
Frederik