hard-dep for Qt 4.8

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Jan 19 13:49:19 GMT 2012

On Wednesday 18 January 2012 10:26:13 Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 January 2012 10.11.58 todd rme wrote:
> > But according to Martin, this isn't just about API changes, it is also
> > about behavior changes.  How do you expect people to know if they are
> > relying on a Qt 4.8-specific behavior?
>
> As far as I know there are no forward incompatible behavior changes between
> Qt4.7 and Qt 4.8

One can dream :-)

I found many behavior differences in QNetworkAccessManager. Most were definitely
ok (not bugs), but broke assumptions in my code ;)

And QDateTime::toString now appends a timezone, so the code that was appending
a timezone by itself before, now ends up with two timezone indicators...

There might be more. But of course this is no reason not to switch, or support
both versions -- IOW this is irrelevant to the actual discussion in this
thread, I just wanted to point out that there are always behavior differences,
by definition (otherwise the two versions would be identical) :-)

To contribute to the actual question in this thread: I'd say let's support
both for now. And the responsibility is shared: developers should check for
"since 4.8" tags when looking at Qt api docs, and people using 4.7 to compile
kde must accept that they'll sometimes hit a breakage due to 4.8-only api
being used (and then either fix it or report it). To be re-evaluated when 4.8
is more commonly used.