hard-dep for Qt 4.8

Lamarque V. Souza lamarque at kde.org
Thu Jan 19 11:28:06 GMT 2012

Em Thursday 19 January 2012, Martin Gräßlin escreveu:
> On Wednesday 18 January 2012 12:53:25 Dario Freddi wrote:
> > Let's try to move the issue another way
> > round: can we think of a way in which we can safely make master depend
> > on new stuff without the risk of hurting these categories?
>
> Yes of course. First of all we have to think whether we introduce problems
> at all. Let's consider translators: they currently work on the branch
> anyway, so no problem. I hope that they don't waste their time by
> following master. So whether a Qt 4.8 dependency matters is a question for
> the time around the string freeze.
>
> The next question is whether translators and designers should waste their
> time on compiling master or if there are better ways to test master. What
> comes to my mind is for example Project Neon for all Debian based systems
> installing current master snapshots in a separate directory. I as a
> developer used it more than once to actual do testing. Another option
> would be to use susestudio to build a always up to date live cd. I did not
> find something but this is probably a good idea to create.
>
> Last but not least there is the question who could not install Qt 4.8 right
> now. So let's see:
> * Fedora: Qt 4.8 in last release
> * Debian: package in experimental
> * openSUSE:
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Qt48/openSUSE_Factory/
> * Arch: seems to be included
> * Kubuntu: https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/experimental

	Strangely that Gentoo does not include an ebuild (package) for Qt 4.8.
Anyone here uses Slackware and can tell us if it includes Qt 4.8?

	Actually, I am in favor of making Qt 4.8 required. I am just wondering
if there are other distributions late on providing up to date Qt packages.

--
Lamarque V. Souza
KDE's Network Management maintainer