hard-dep for Qt 4.8

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Jan 19 07:32:44 GMT 2012

On Wednesday 18 January 2012 12:53:25 Dario Freddi wrote:
> Let's try to move the issue another way
> round: can we think of a way in which we can safely make master depend
> on new stuff without the risk of hurting these categories?
Yes of course. First of all we have to think whether we introduce problems at
all. Let's consider translators: they currently work on the branch anyway, so
no problem. I hope that they don't waste their time by following master. So
whether a Qt 4.8 dependency matters is a question for the time around the
string freeze.

The next question is whether translators and designers should waste their time
on compiling master or if there are better ways to test master. What comes to
my mind is for example Project Neon for all Debian based systems installing
current master snapshots in a separate directory. I as a developer used it
more than once to actual do testing. Another option would be to use susestudio
to build a always up to date live cd. I did not find something but this is
probably a good idea to create.

Last but not least there is the question who could not install Qt 4.8 right
now. So let's see:
* Fedora: Qt 4.8 in last release
* Debian: package in experimental
* openSUSE:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Qt48/openSUSE_Factory/
* Arch: seems to be included
* Kubuntu: https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/experimental

So personally I don't see a problem here with requiring Qt 4.8. It is not
difficult to get those packages (please don't argument now that you still use
Kubuntu 10.04 and for that the package does not exist. Wanting to work on the
lastest stack requires the latest stack).

Cheers
Martin