hard-dep for Qt 4.8

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Jan 19 08:08:50 GMT 2012

On Thursday 19 January 2012 08:52:48 Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Thursday 19 January 2012 08.15.39 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > > As far as I know there are no forward incompatible behavior changes
> > > between Qt4.7 and Qt 4.8> I.e. AFAIK programming for 4.8 using 4.7 APIs
> > > but 4.8 behavior will give
> > > the same behavior on 4.7.
> >
> > What comes to my mind is multi thread support for QtOpenGL [1]. That is
> > using  threaded OpenGL with Qt 4.8 will work, while it fails with 4.7
> > without rendering a compile error.
>
> The enum Qt::AA_X11InitThreads is not available in 4.7, which enables the
> functionality mentioned in the blog.   Using that would give a compile
> error.
As the enum name indicates: it is only required for X11. On other plattforms
supported by KDE this flag is not required. Oh and think about developers
being smart like ifdefing the flag to be only used with Qt 4.8 ;-)

Anyway it's a valid example of changed behavior from 4.7 to 4.8. This is what
I wanted to highlight: these changes exist and we don't know them all.

Cheers
Martin