bugzilla situation

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Feb 24 18:42:39 GMT 2012

On Friday 24 February 2012 20:36:12 Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Friday, February 24, 2012 07:28:33 PM Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > > User asking on distro/KDE mailinglist/forum/IRC because xyz does not
> > > work.
> > >

> > > 1. he gets an answer
> > > 1.1 known bug
> > > 1.2 me too -> the user might open a bug report
> > > 1.3 it works like this…
> > >

> > > 2. he does not get an answer
> > > 2.1) frustrated and no bug report
> > > 2.2) frustrated and bug report
> >
> > which sounds exactly like first level support which needs to become better
> > so  that point 2 never happens and point 1.2 is not handled by the user.
> > Think about how awesome it is to get the feedback that the task has been
> > delegated to the developers for further investigation :-)
>
> So, do you have a community around KWin who could do that? Do you have a
> user mailing list (lists.kde.org doesn't show any), a user forum, where
> someone with knowledge can help the users?
>  If not, no surprise that the only entry for users is bugzilla.
there is a subforum on forum.kde.org. It's quite active actually.

user support is allowed on #kwin, additionally on #kde (I have a highlight on
kwin, so if I am around I help). We don't have a user support mailing list.

For KWin there is another issue: if users know that the application "kwin"
exists there is already a serious problem. Nowhere in the user interface there
is the word KWin. It's either an already slightly experienced user or KWin
crashed. So having a mailinglist kwin-support at kde.org is plain wrong. On
forum.kde.org it's nicely handled as kwin is a subforum in the workspace area
and that can be moderated.

Cheers
Martin