bugzilla situation

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Fri Feb 24 00:40:47 GMT 2012

Am Mittwoch, 22. Februar 2012, 12:38:38 schrieb Antonis Tsiapaliokas:
> For e.x., someone is a core developer, someone  is on release team or
> someone else is a sysadmin and some others are taking critical decisions
> about the feature of KDE. I don't think that neither of them was there
> where he is now from it's first day of KDE. So in my opinion
> some privileges must be earned, in order to be able to communicate better
> and faster.

Earning the privilege to report bugs? Forcing users to subscribe to a
mailinglist or wait for hours on some IRC channel? Seriously? I have come
across lots of occasions where people did not get a reply on IRC or were told
on a mailinglist that bugs should be reported at bugzilla.

A lot of KDE is released as rather untested software, compared to software you
pay for. Part of the deal with users is that they do not expect the same kind
of QA before code gets released as one would for paid software and that they
act as the testers software companies usually have to pay for. You get testers
for free and do not have to do QA at the level of paid software but you still
want them to earn the privilege to report bugs without offering a smarter
alternative than to keep them away from bugzilla?

Of course a lot of people are not on the technical level to report perfect bug
reports, but that's the price you have to pay if you do not want to pay
professional testers.

If you want to get rid of dead bug reports be smarter than complaining about
your users.

Sven