Color Managing KDE

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Wed Feb 22 16:55:33 GMT 2012

Am 22.02.12, 16:42 -0000 schrieb John Layt:
> On 22 Feb 2012 11:29, "Boudewijn Rempt" <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:

>>> Use case here I want this :D, please guys help Richard. Yill make you
> free
>>> icons :D and mybe pay you a beer or 2.
>>>

>> While I agree that KDE needs colormanagement built-in, especially with
> artists moving to KDE (I get almost no bug reports for Krita from gnome
> users anymore, while that used to be the majority...) it's not like nothing
> has been done before for KDE:
>>
>> Especially:
>>
>> http://www.oyranos.org/2011/11/kde-and-colour-management/
>> http://www.oyranos.org/kolormanager/
>>
>> which are now, afaik, being used in OpenSUSE. There's quite a bit of
> contentiousness between around this topic, and I have to say, while I don't
> get the technical differences all the time, I do understand the friction I
> see happening on, e.g., the openicc mailing list.
>>
>> With all the respect I feel for Richard, I do think that this is yet
> another of those technologies that get developed in splendid isolation for
> Gnome, forced upon the Linux world by Redhat, claimed to be a standard and
> which is then used to complain about KDE's lack of involvement yet again.
> It makes me feel a bit unhappy.
>>
>> --
>> Boudewijn Rempt
>> http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org, http://www.boudewijnrempt.nl
>
> It's not a situation I understand or want, but the reality is we now have
> two competing colour management systems which are shipping in distro's.
> It's a situation I'll have to learn more about later from a Qt printing
> context, but for now rather than debate the rights and wrongs we need to
> think about supporting KDE users on Fedora, Red Hat, and any other distros
> that choose colord over oyranos.

Fedora packages Oyranos since years.

> All that is needed here right now, and all I believe Richard is asking help
> for, is for a KCM to configure colord. KDE is a community know for it's
> pragmatism and I think we need to be pragmatic here as it is not diverting
> significant resources or making deep changes, or expressing support for one
> or other solution.

An other approach is to put effort in bringing all Linux CMS'es to use
one common configuration DB. The format is agreed upon. I implemented some
code to access it and want now to use that inside Oyranos. We have a
OpenICC GSoC project to provide patches for all substancial CMS'es on
Linux namely ArgyllCMS, Oyranos and colord:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/OpenIcc/GoogleSoC2012#OpenICC_Colour_Configuration_Data_Base

> I believe Alex Fiestas has expressed an interest in the past in developing
> a KCM so he might be a good starting point.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe